English Spanish

Apply for Assistance from a Township Trustee

Where to Apply for Assistance

To apply for assistance please visit the New Albany Township Trustee’s Office located on the first floor (Room 109) of the City-County Building located at 311 Hauss Square in New Albany.

Application Process

Township Trustee DoorUpon arrival to the trustee's office you will have to fill out an application for assistance. The trustee must make a decision on all applications within 72 hours, not counting weekends and holidays. In an emergency, the trustee may be able to help you the same day.

When coming to the Trustee's Office you should bring government identification and proof of your income and finances. This can be pay stubs, or TANF records. Bring proof of your household situation (social security numbers, birth certificates of household members), receipts for expenses during the last month, and information and any documents regarding the situation you need help with, like a rent-due notice. If you have any referrals from other agencies, bring those as well.

Does the trustee give me cash?

No. The trustee will not give you cash. Instead, the trustee may issue a “voucher” (like a coupon) to a landlord for rent, or help you find a place to stay. Some trustee offices have a supply of food to give to people in need, while others may give vouchers to a grocery store.

Can the trustee turn me down?

The trustee's office must follow its own standards when deciding whether this office can help you. Some applications do not meet that criteria and are turned down. The office will provide a written “denial slip” if your application is denied. The slip will tell you the reason for the denial, and will tell you about your right to appeal the denial.

What should I do if I am denied?

If you are denied help from the trustee, you have the right to appeal. You have 15 days from the date of the denial to file an appeal of the decision. If you don’t appeal, the denial is final.

You should fill out the appeal request that is on the back of the denial slip. Make a copy of the denial slip and the appeal request for yourself, and deliver in person or mail the original to the Floyd County Commissioners office located in the Pineview Government Center. A hearing will be scheduled within 10 days of the Commissioner’s receiving the appeal request.

What happens at the hearing?

At the appeal hearing, the Floyd County Commissioners will decide whether you should have been helped, either under the trustee’s own guidelines or under the Indiana poor relief law. You can have an attorney represent you at the hearing or you can go by yourself. 

Can the trustee make me work?

If you get trustee assistance, you might have to work for the township’s workfare program. However, you will not have to work for the workfare program if:

1. You are not physically able to work.
2. You are a minor or you are at least 65 years old.
3. You are needed to care for someone else because of that person’s age or physical condition.
4. You are employed full time.
5. You are attending a training program through the township trustee
6. The trustee determines there is no work available.

Can the trustee make me apply for other programs, such as food stamps or TANF?

Yes. If the trustee thinks you could be getting help under another program, the trustee can tell you to apply for help under that program. If you do not apply, the trustee can refuse to help you.